Two days ago Aaron went for a horseback ride and took Koda with him like he always does.
When Aaron got home from his ride he said that Koda was really overheated and wouldn't even walk.....
We filled up his pool and wet him down and gave him lots of water to drink, but nothing seemed to help.
I knew something was really wrong....
I started to look all over him to see if he got bit by anything or to see if there was an injury we weren't seeing.....
When I lifted his hind leg I saw two fang marks and a dark red trail of blood under the skin that went to his abdomen and made a big pool of blood under the skin there.
Koda had been bit by a rattlesnake.
It was so horrible. He just laid there and wouldn't move, his body would tremble uncontrollably, he would go to the bathroom all over himself and then he started to bleed from his rectum.
We called a friend that is a vet and he told us a couple things we could try, but mostly we just had to wait and see if he would make it or not.
By late that afternoon, we thought he was doing a little better. He tried to get up a couple of times, and he would lift his head and wag his tail every now and then. We were so happy and couldn't believe he was going to pull through. Koda has been run over by a quad, and had his leg cut open where he needed stitches. He tried to play with a porcupine once and learned the hard way that porcupines don't like to play with dogs. Each time, even though a couple of them he probably shouldn't have lived, he pulled through.
We decided we were going to make his middle name Lucky.
The next morning he seemed to be stable. He lifted his head a couple times and the swelling had gone down a lot. Logan went out and sat with him before school and Koda moved his paw towards Logan until Logan held it. Then he just laid there with Logan for quite a while. It was so sweet.
That afternoon when I got home with the kids from school, I went out back and I knew Koda had taken a turn for the worse. He looked horrible. He wouldn't even pick up his head. I called Aaron at work and asked him to come home because I thought Koda was dying. He hurried home and we drove Koda over to our friends house that is a vet. He and another vet looked him over and told us that there wasn't anything else we could do for him and that he was in a lot of pain and death was certain to come. He was bleeding internally and was actually getting blood clots that were coming to the surface of his skin and bursting.
It was one of the most terrible moments of my life.
I knew what we had to do, I just couldn't believe that our sweet, HYPER, slobbery Koda wouldn't be there with us anymore.
Poor Colton was there when the vet gave us the news and he and I just hugged Koda and cried together.
We gave Koda some pain meds to make it home so the other kids could say goodbye, and then we all hugged Koda and told him how much we loved him. It was very emotional for all of us. Colton held him in his lap while he fell asleep for the last time.
We loved Koda so much. He was definitely one of our family and we can't wait to see him again in the next life. We're sure he's chewing up all the Heavenly landscaping, and destroying any heavenly chew toys he's given (even ones that say they can't be destroyed), and sliming all the angels with his excessive amount of slobber that he seemed to have a bottomless supply of.
We will all miss you, Koda.
We love you.
18 comments:
Im so sorry- that is so sad! Hang in there!
I am so sorry Tara. That made me cry. :( I hope you guys are doing okay. Losing a family dog is one of the hardest things to deal with. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.
Oh, I am so sorry. It is so hard to lose a pet that is such a part of the family. I am so sad for you guys and Koda:(
I am SO sorry for your loss! I know how much Koda meant to your family. I was crying so much the whole time I was reading the post (come to think of it the words are still blurry so the tears have not stopped). I know it is so hard to lose a family pet. We will miss you Koda! Give the kids extra loves and kisses from me!
Koda was such a sweet dog! He was very entertaining and never complained (evident by his reaction to the rattlesnake bite). We'll miss that HYPER, slobbery dog!
My heart is broken for you guys. I am so sorry. I truly believe that all dogs DO go to heaven. If they are indeed man's best friend they just have to.
You think I would learn my lesson and not read any blogs while I'm at work. I thought I could read the story without crying but NO WAY. I know how hard it is to lose a family member. If there is anything I can do, please let me know.
I'm so sorry about Koda, Tara. I know what it's like to lose a family dog and it's not easy. I wish you the best during this hard time.
I am soooo sorry to hear that about Koda. He was such a good dog. I know you all will miss him. Hang in there.
ooooooooooooooooohkay.
Tara. So. Sorry. There are no words.
I am glad everyone got to say their See You Laters.
You can go back to posting about San Diego now.
I too am crying :C that is soo sad. I can't imagine losing my little nitro he is one of the family. He looked like a sweet puppy, hang in there.
I too am crying :C that is soo sad. I can't imagine losing my little nitro he is one of the family. He looked like a sweet puppy, hang in there.
I'm so sorry!
What a sad story. I always have a hard time with sad dog stories. My favorite dog also fell asleep for the last time in my arms. It is really hard. Hope the family feels better soon.
Although losing Koda has been really tough I have really just tried to focus on the good times I have had with him. The first time we came over to your house Koda went to the bathroom all over Hunters new running shoes and after many failed attempts at trying to get the smell out of it we had to throw his shoes away. Another fond memory was just a few months ago when we were looking for Ben's shoe and he had left it in the backyard as a fun little chew toy for Koda.
Oh I will miss that adorable little dog.....
I happened upon your blog through another friends. I hope you don't mind.
I'm so not a dog person, but my heart is going out to you and your family. I can tell you loved this guy so much. I'm sorry for your loss. I love that you think of what he's doing in heaven. He's happy there, I'm sure!
BTW, Carter things Colton is the coolest kid in the world! He talks about him whenever we go to church. He was bummed that you weren't right behind us last Sunday. ;) Thanks to Colton for being sweet to Carter.
Oh Tara, I'm so sorry! We had to put down Tucker about a year ago, he had cancer and it just about broke my heart. I know how hard it is, but it is even worse when you have kids, I think. I'm so sorry!!!
Oh, I am so sorry! I hope the kids are doing okay. It is amazing Bear has lasted thislong... talk about Lucky. I miss seeing Koda and Bear outside. Give the kids big hugs for me:)
Post a Comment