background

Friday, September 18, 2009

Finding Faith

I remember each time I had a baby, feeling such overwhelming love for each one of them.  In those quiet moments of snuggling and adoring them, feeling such overwhelming feelings of keeping them safe and unmarked by this world.  No matter how hard we try as parents, our kids are going to get hurt and are going to have to deal with some of the unpleasantness of life.

I'm realizing now more than ever how much I have to rely on the Lord to be there for my children.  I'm also learning how much harder it is to forgive and forget when the hurt is being done to your children.

The questions going through my head:
  Have I taught them enough?
 Have they had the opportunity to feel the spirit?
Do they have enough self esteem to stand up for what they believe in?
Do they know how much their parents, both earthly and heavenly, love them?
Do they have enough self confidence and faith in the Lord to withstand the trials in this life?
Do they feel close enough to me to confide in me when it really counts?

My faith is being strengthened right now.
I have to put into practice all those things I've been taught and have faith that Heavenly Father will pick up the slack for me.  I'm so grateful for the gospel in my life.  I'm so thankful for the temple and the peace it brings into my life.  I'm determined to be faithful.  I'm determined to be a good example of forgiveness and kindness to my children.  I pray every night and morning that I can be a good mom and be able to feel the promptings of the spirit to guide me and help me to raise my children the way Heavenly Father wants me to.  Even though trials are hard, I'm thankful for the opportunity they give me to be humbled and to find my faith.  I'm thankful for the atonement.  I'm so thankful for my Savior.
I'm also very thankful for prayer.   Yesterday I felt like I was at a breaking point and a friend who knew nothing about the trial we are experiencing right now, texted me and said she had dinner and dessert waiting for me at her house, to just come pick it up after cross country.   I seriously had to hold back the tears because I knew Heavenly Father was looking out for me through good friends.

I know Heavenly Father is aware of me and my children.  I have faith in Him.
Life is good :)

    

9 comments:

Brianne said...

I'm so sad to hear that you and your wonderful family are facing a trial right now. I am so grateful that you have a such a great testimony because I know it is truely the only thing that can lighten our burdens. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father sent an angel to serve you and your family yesterday. Please know that I love you SO much and all of your children!!! Please let me know if there is ANYTHING we can do for you or the kids!!! You will all be in our prayers as usual eachday but we will put a little extra something in there for you :) Love you sister!!!!!

Steve and Erin Larsen said...

I am sorry for what you are going through right now. I hope you know how much I love you and care about you and that you can call me to talk anytime. I feel selfish because I always call you and I feel like I am complaining about something and you never talk about your problems. You just listen to me and try to help and comfort me. Thanks for being such a great big sister. I really look up to you a lot.

Love you lots,

Erin

Cheryl said...

This is one of the best posts you've done. It's very well expressed in that we all feel this way at one point or another. I've felt the same way you do and have asked the same questions you did. I've ended up relying on the same source, too... because He is continually there. I'm sure from Eve on, those same questions were asked. Hang in there. You are a super mom!!! And you have super duper children that will 'figure it out' because you teach them well and rely on the right source. Love you honey.

Staci Kramer said...

Amen to this. Being a mom is so full of highs and lows. I have no idea how anyone does it with out The Gospel of Jesus Christ. I don't know what you are going through right now but I'd love to be a support to you in any way I can. We are long overdue for a good lunch date to get caught up. Keep fighting, keep praying and lay claim to your promised blessings. Everything will be okay.

The Pritchard Party said...

Thanks for that post, Tara! And from what I know about you, you are a powerhouse of a woman and a mom. What a great example of a tender mercy from Heavenly Father. I hope you and your family are able to cope with your current trial.

mrs. timberlake said...

Tara, I agree with what Cheryl said, one of the best posts. Simply beautiful. Thank you.

katie said...

Your eloquence in expressing your feelings and emotions is beautiful...a true example to me and I am sure many many others. I am always here for you! Love ya! : )

Julianne said...

Amen! Hang in there...we need another girls night!

Krista said...

TK, you and Aaron are doing an amazing job with your children. And I know your testimony shines through. Your kids are perceptive of the teachings and promptings of the spirit. Their testimonies shine through. You're a good mom and sister!! LOVE YOU!!! And I hope you know I'm here if you ever need help!!